By John Pulliam posted November 14, 2018
Choosing a house color is difficult. However, understanding the implications can help guide the process.
Some colors help you sell your home while others hurt your chances.
Helpful colors include white (by far the most popular), beige and gray.
Colors that hurt your chances include dark brown, terracotta or yellow.
Additionally, avoid chasing recent home color trends if you plan to sell your home within 5-10 years. Classic choices like white are almost always safe bets.
Aside from color selection ensuring your color choice blends with the surroundings is a critical factor to consider. In general, clashing with adjacent colors can lower the aesthetic quality of a home.
By John Pulliam posted November 7, 2018
There are many ways to use or not use contrast:
1. Changing the shade of a specific color can create contrast. For example, you can use a base "light gray" and paint the trim "dark gray."
2. Using very different colors also creates contrast. For example, if you have a dark black roof you can paint your house a lighter color to create contrast.
3. Not using contrast can be a way to downplay specific architectural features.
By John Pulliam posted October 30, 2018
Painting is a very large industry worth learning about. Here are a few 2017 painting industry stats to give you an overview:
- Global sales were $125 billion (9.4 billion gallons).
- 55% of painting sales went to large companies including Sherwin-Williams, PPG, Akzo Nobel and Nippon.
- North American sales mix: 41% of architectual paint, 37% OEM coatings and 22% special purpose.
- Five drivers for industry growth include: 1) New construction; 2) Repaint & remodeling; 3) Protective & Marine; 4) Global manufacturing; 5) Auto refinish.
By John Pulliam posted October 24, 2018
Matching paint colors has never been easier with the help of painting apps. Here are a few top rated paint color apps to consider:
- Project Color (Home Depot): You can browse colors, match existing colors or search for a color you already know the name/number for.
- ColorSmart (BEHR): You can access colors by scanning the bar code on the back of your BEHR paint, browse BEHR's extensive library of paint colors, matching existing colors and preview your color selections in a digital gallery.
- 200 Room Painting Ideas: This app helps you generate ideas for room color combination. Sometimes it is easier to pick from existing design ideas as opposed to coming up with your own.
By John Pulliam posted September 27, 2018
The colors you choose to paint your home can impact home sale values. According to Zillow colors are constantly working for or against you depending on what you choose.
In 2016, painting your kitchen yellow improved the home's sale price by $1,000-1,300. However, in the following year, a yellow kitchen hurt's your home sale price by $820.
It is hard to know what colors come in and out of fashion but there are a few constants to watch out for:
- Avoid dark colors;
- Avoid bold colors;
- Avoid a terracotta share.
By John Pulliam posted August 10, 2018
Trim involves a lot less square footage and as a result less cost but can still make a big impact on a room or a house. Trim can frame rooms in either a good or a bad way. Consider re-painting trim in areas of your house with signifcant damage issues to improve your home's look and feel.
By John Pulliam posted July 27, 2018
By John Pulliam posted July 14, 2015
Repainting your entire house can cost anywhere from $2,500-$6,500. Creating an accent wall can cost as little as $300-500 and still have a big impact on your home. Here are 20 unforgettable accent wall ideas from Homedit.com to help you generate ideas for your home.
Check back here in future weeks to get more low cost high impact home improvement ideas.
By John Pulliam posted June 10, 2018
Painting involves a lot of choices so I thought it made sense to review a book on decision-making. Sheena Iyengar's The Art of Choosing is a high quality book that focuses on the psychology of choosing.
One theme the aurthor discusses is the presence of too many decisions and too many choices. Based on this conclusion, one way to improve decision-making quality is to reduce the number of decisions involved in a painting project. Can you ask someone else to make the less significant decisions to reduce the number of decisions you need to make? Additionally, can you reduce the number of options at the beginning or a process so you can focus on the best options?
Check out this book. Sheena Iyengar is a leader in her field who can help you improve your decision-making quality.
By John Pulliam posted May 25, 2018
After a long rainy season here in the northwest, water damage is likely to show up on houses. The good news is that you can paint over water damage. However, there are several things to keep in mind:
- The source of the water damage needs to be repaired. Otherwise the problem will develop again.
- Before painting over the stain, make sure the area is 100% dry. And, just because the surface looks dry, it doesn't mean that the area is dry enough to paint. Consider using a dehumidifier to dry out the area.
- Kill any mold first before painting. Remember that mold can be toxic so please hire a professional.
Painting over water stains takes time and energy. Good luck!
By John Puliam - May 14, 2018
Quality wallpaper can last over 15 years. However, when it comes time to evaluate other options, homeowners might wonder if they should paint over wallpaper to avoid removal costs.
When to remove wallpaper before painting:
Anytime the wallpaper is peeling or very old, it can often be better to remove it first. Also, removing wallpaper that has been painted over is very difficult.
When to paint over wallpaper:
If you have any concerns that removing the wallpaper will damage the drywall or plaster, painting over wallpaper can be a safer way to redecorate a room.
By John Pulliam - April 27, 2018
As a painting company, we believe color can be a source of improved organization. A room or house with the right color creates much needed aesthetic order in a chaotic world.
According to Isaac Eliaz, MD the benefits of being organized include but are not limited to: 1) Lower stress; 2) Heightened mental clarity and insight; 3) Greater compassion toward ourselves and others.
Given the benefits it is worth asking, "how do I become more organized?" One New York Times Best Selling author Mari Kondo answers this in her book the life-changing magic of tidying up: the Japanese art of decluttering and organizing.
In summary, Kondo recommends that you first take an inventory of everything you own and ask, "does this spark joy?" If it doesn't, junk it.
Next, put everything that remains in a visible location. Gradually, put everything back.
There is a lot more to Kondo's method but much of its power is in its simplicity. Step 1: toss everything you don't need. Step 2: organization what's left.
2367 Tacoma Avenue South STE #C123
Tacoma, WA 98402